You are the leaders of the future and Junior Energy wants to give you the tools you need to make your home (and maybe even the homes of your friends and family) more environmentally friendly.
Did you know that compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs use 25% of the energy of average incandescent light bulbs and last 10 times as long? We couldn’t believe it either! We thought, hey, we can save 75% of the energy used to light our homes and it's as simple as changing some light bulbs. (energystar.gov)
Junior Energy is a fun & easy way to make this change. Here's how it works:
- Visit our "Get Started" page and "Register" to participate.
- Click on "Survey Download", download the survey and use it to find out how many incandescent light bulbs there are in your home.
- Count the number of 60 watt and 100 watt bulbs you find in your home. Use the survey to write down the number of these bulbs in each room. Ask your parents to help you with this---you can teach them what you learned about energy savings.
- Once you have finished the survey, "upload" the information to our site to see how much energy and money you can save by changing to better bulbs. Use the menus to enter in how many bulbs you found and how many watts they used.
- You will then be able to "Order" environmentally friendly light bulbs to replace your old ones.
- Repeat this as many times as you like for friends and neighbors—become an energy expert!!!
- And the best part of all - the proceeds from the purchase of your new earth friendly bulbs will go to create fun and educational environmental programs at your school.